Monday, October 13, 2014

Baptism!

 
Hey Family!

 
We had a really good week and it ended with a baptism!

 
On Tuesday, we met with a reference that Andrea gave us on Monday night and so we visited with him on Tuesday. His name is Mario and he is a really great man. A very large Colombian. He's a boxer, it's pretty cool. When we met with him, he had a swollen face because he lost his fight on Saturday. It was pretty sweet. He has a lot of potential! He has been trying to become a Catholic Frei but he always backs out and he didn't know why. Andrea told us to focus on the priesthood during the lesson so we did, but still taught the restoration. The spirit was very strong during the lesson. He feels Joseph Smith was a prophet which is really great. We also invited him to be baptized and he is very willing. Later that night we were able to meet with Andrea. We had 4 members at the lesson, people she has made friendships with. We finished the last of lesson 5. (I don't remeber if I told you but we teach that lesson before baptism now.) And we were talking about her baptism date. Well then everyone starts talking at once to her and when more than one speaks I get lost because I can't decide who to focus on. Anyways then we hear her say "Elders, I'm getting baptized on Saturday!" We were more than O.K. with that but it would take A LOT of planning the next few days! We get home and try and call the district leader so he can come down and do an interview and one of the phones wasn't working. Mine? Or his? I'm not sure. We finally get a hold of him like 3 minutes before bed and ask him if he could come down. He already had planned to go to another area to do a companion exchange. He said we would figure it out at district meeting. On the bus there with just the clothes on my back, I get a call from him saying you are going to A Coruña so the the zone leader can do the interview. So I got to have that fun experience. She passed with flying colors. He said he felt like he was interviewing a member. She's that prepared.

Now the fun experience on Thursday! I get back to Lugo and my companion isn't in the bus station waiting for me! I go looking around and he's not there. So I start asking people if I can use their phone and not a single one let me! I wanted to plead to them just like Alma did to Amulek:  "Will ye give to an humble servant of God something to eat?" or in my case "Will ye give to an humble servant of God a telephone call?" But nothing! I decide, well for the first time in my life, I'm going to try a pay-phone. It ate my coin!  :(  So I just sat down and prayed. 30 minutes later he and the member he was with came running in. They thought I got there at 10:15. So they were there earlier but then left to go drop off the church curtains at the cleaners and eat sandwitches but at least they showed up.

Friday, we go to the church to go get the baptism dress and take it to her house and it's not there!! We looked everywhere and called everyone. But nothing, no where to be found! All we had for clothes for her were one jumpsuit for a child, one jumpsuit size small (that was our only hope) and 2 GIANT dresses! So yeah. She had to try it on and she was busy that day so we were hoping it fit!

 
Saturday, we had a great baptismal service. So all the rush paid off. The jumpsuit fit (barely.) Many came and supported her. Including Oscar (Margarita's son) and Mario, the friend we are teaching. I had the opportunity to baptize her. It was really powerful. Right as she came out of the water, she started crying. The spirit was so strong. Afterward she bore an absolutly amazing testimony. She is truly happy and converted.
 
 


 
It is such a blessing to be able to bring people into the gospel and help strengthen the church. Seeing them gain a testimony. It really helps me continue building mine. We really did nothing to convert her. She was prepared from the beginning. Through her desire, she recieved her answer. We just sat there and taught what we had to teach.

 
I hope everyone had a great week and keep sharing the gospel with everyone! This baptism was a member reference. There are people prepared that are our friends. Pray about it and listen to what the spirit says about who you should invite. Don't be afraid! I love you all!
-Elder Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment